Tuesday, January 08, 2008

O Virgo Virginum

O VIRGO VIRGINUM, quomodo fiet istud? quia nec primam similem visa es, nec habere sequentem. Filiae Ierusalem, quid me admiramini? Divinum est mysterium hoc quod cernitis.

O Virgin of virgins, how shall this be? For neither before thee was any like thee, nor shall there be after. Daughters of Jerusalem, why marvel ye at me? The thing which ye behold is a divine mystery.

YES! I finally found it - the Latin text and music for the ‘eighth’ O Antiphon, O Virgo Virginum. A bit late, seeing as Sapientiatide is now well behind us, but late is better than never.



This ‘eighth’ O antiphon is not used in the Roman rite proper, only in the Sarum use thereof. I have it in English in my copies of the English Office and the Anglican Breviary, but have been searching for the original Latin for some time now. This happy discovery I owe to a chance visit to the Inn at the End of the World.

Because the Sarum use contains eight O antiphons, Sapientiatide begins a day earlier than in the Roman rite, on December 16th.

No comments: